Last Tuesday, my University had a pumpkin patch and was giving out free pumpkins for the students to decorate. Which was very nice of them and all, but I felt like I could do something better with my pumpkin, rather then stick some feathers and glitter on it like a pre-schooler. Luckily for me, my roommate had the same idea as I and we both brought our pumpkins home. We both new that we wanted to create something from our pumpkins, we didn’t want them to just lay around our dorm room and to be smashed by a random drunk jock that decided he wanted to play football.
We though about making pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon butter cream, pumpkin cheesecake with candies walnuts, or even making, pumpkin ice cream, but none of these felt right. Then my darling roommate gave the suggestion that why don’t I make pumpkin pie with them. Honestly, I’m a little embarrassed that I didn’t think of that within the first five minutes of getting my pumpkin.
This is a recipe for pumpkin pie from scratch. I feel that I should warn you that the whole process takes about 3-3 1/2 hours, but it is well worth it!
- 1small pumpkins
- 1 pre-made RAW piecrust
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 12 Tbsp Butter (1 1/2 Stick)
- 3 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup of Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 2 Egg Yokes
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Take your pumpkin and cut it in half, remove all of the seeds. Place your pumpkin open side up and sprinkle the cinnamon and 4 Tbsp of butter on them. They will usually take 1-1 1/2 hours to cook.
- In a bowl combine the egg, egg yokes, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix well!
- In another bowl, whisk together all of the “whites”: the softened butter, the whole milk and cream cheese.
- After the pumpkin is fully cooked, (Your able to stab it with a butter knife), remove if from the oven and use a spoon to remove the insides of the pumpkin.
- Combine the “white” mixture and the soften pumpkin. Mix it together to combine a mixture that looks like a light orange.
- Combine the light orange mixture with the vanilla sugar mixture. Pour it into the pre-made pie crust and put the pie into the 365F pre-heated oven. It should take 45-70 minutes for the pie to fully cook.
- After the pie is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cook for 60 minutes.
- Enjoy and be festive!