With the holidays behind us and the New Year’s resolutions beginning, one may think that a sweet treat is out of there reach. Well, I say, not in my world. I feel that removing all sweets from your diet is the biggest reason why most people fall off the wagon of weight loss. Eating in moderation is the key to success and this apple crumb cheesecake is one shining key.
The reason I created this recipe was because of a fight within my family during the holiday season. Don’t worry, the fight was small and none of our hair fell to the floor! The fight was an argument about which dessert I should make the family for out Christmas dinner. Now, my mother and father wanted me to make my apple pie, my mother wanted my coffee crumb cake, and my brother and sister wanted cheesecake. Finally, after days of this banter, I’ve had enough. I was even tempted to buy a store bought cake and serve them that!
Instead I combined all of there favorite desserts into one monster of a treat. And what would you know? They loved it!
So here is a step by step guild to apple crumb cheesecake.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Two Granny smiths
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 24 oz cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- To make the crumb topping, combine all the ingredients in a bowl until divided into a gravel like mix. Set aside for later
- To make the apple mix, skin and dice the apples. Mix the diced apples with the cinnamon. Set aside for later.
- In a mixer, combine the cream cheese, eggs, cornstarch, sugar, cream, and vanilla. Mix until there are no lumps
- Now for the layering! Pour the cheesecake mixture into the crust until 3/4 filled. Then spread the apple mixture on top. Finally sprinkle the crumb mixture on top.
(In my experience, everyone LOVED the crumb topping so don’t be cheap with it!)
- Cook until cheesecake is no longer “jiggly” when you sake it. Let cook for at least 1 hr before serving.