When talking about the newest diet trend, it’s easy to only talk about the benefits of that particular diet.
People are quick to claim that the popular diet pill, Alli, will help you drop a dress size in about two weeks, but they always seem to leave out the part about it giving you the runs and making you ‘shat’ yourself. I know! I know! TMI. But it’s the truth…
What I’m trying to say is that when people hear the magical words of ‘weight loss’, ‘fat loss’, and ‘muscle building’, people tend to turn a blind eye to the downside of certain diets.
And when it comes to your body, I believe that you should know the pros and cons to some of your favorite diets.
What is it? : The Atkin diet allows for dieters to consume a high amount of protein and a low amount of carbohydrates.
- Pro: Quick weight loss
- Con: Lack of fiber and calcium deposits on the liver (This happened to my friend’s mom)
What is it? : More of a lifestyle than a diet, the Vegan diet forbids dieters from consuming any animal products.
- Pro: Heathier digestion, lower blood pressure, and clearer skin.
- Con: Lack of vitamin B12, vitamin D, and calcium.
What is it? : The Keto diet allows for dieters to consume a high amount of fat, a medium amount of protein, and a low amount of carbohydrates.
- Pro: Puts the body in ketosis, lower insulin levels, helps digestion.
- Con: Fatigue, alters blood lipids, mineral deficiency.
Raw Food Diet
What is it? : Similar to a vegan diet, the Raw Food diet forbids dieters to consume any animal products and any cooked foods.
- Pro: Weight loss, detoxification, lower inflammation.
- Con: Lack of vitamin B12, zinc, and iron.
What is it? : The Paleo diet is more of an ideology than a diet, where dieters are pushed to only consume products that would’ve been consumed by our cavemen ancestors.
- Pro: Consuming ‘cleaner’ foods, anti-inflammatory, feeling of fullness.
- Con: Brain fog, lack of energy, calcium deposits.
What is it? : The 5:2 diet is a diet that includes fasting, where dieters are encouraged to eat for 5 days of the week and fast for the remaining 2.
- Pro: Weight loss, aides in digestion, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Con: Nutrient deficiency, lack of energy, not suitable for pregnant woman and children.
What is it? : The alkaline diet is when dieters consume only foods that assist in aiding the body’s acidity and pH bodily fluids.
- Pro: Weight loss, increase energy, reduces aging, prevents cancer.
- Con: Lack of calcium and protein.